DeathWrites

A place to share, discuss, and think about the wide variety of funerary and mortuary ritual forms found worldwide.Also a place to learn to deal with the death of a loved one, or your own transition from the physical to non-physical.

Name:
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States

I am 53 years old, and single mother to two teenaged sons. Trained as an anthropologist, I have made the cross-cultural study of death rituals my personal domain. I've traveled the world, read all I can get my hands on...and it's still not enough!

Monday, July 16, 2007

How Have You Memorialized Your Loved Ones?

In this time of overcrowding, cemetery regulation, and environmental legislation, it’s often difficult to find a personally meaningful way to memorialize your loved ones. I see now where you can get a plaque on a park bench, donate a book to the local library system in their name, or make a monetary donation to a local charity; but none of these things resonate with everyone.

Long gone are the days when you can erect a memorial in your local cemetery – the common regulations for urban cemeteries forbid much more than a plaque flush to the ground over the burial spot. The niche in the mausoleum where the ashes of your loved one are stored is lost to view in the visual “sea” of similar niches.

So, what have you done to preserve the memory of the life lived, and lost?

This is the question of the day. I look forward to hearing of your loving creativity.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger pablo said...

Hi Kim
Thanks for the great question & your insight.

What I have done is to create a web site that commemorates loved ones & strangers whose passing has touched my soul.

If you are interested my website is descansos.org

there are two memorials that have touched me profoundly.

www.descansos.org/forvirginia.shtml
and
www.descansos.org/babygrace.shtml

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home