DeathWrites

A place to share, discuss, and think about the wide variety of funerary and mortuary ritual forms found worldwide.Also a place to learn to deal with the death of a loved one, or your own transition from the physical to non-physical.

Name:
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States

I am 53 years old, and single mother to two teenaged sons. Trained as an anthropologist, I have made the cross-cultural study of death rituals my personal domain. I've traveled the world, read all I can get my hands on...and it's still not enough!

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hospice Volunteer Work

I took hospice volunteer training this past February, from our Hospice Caring Project here in Santa Cruz county. Forty-five hours of in-class learning brought us to the point where we felt ready to step out into the community to lovingly care for the terminally ill and their families.

My first client passed away on June 9th, and after a short hiatus, I returned to service the last Friday in June.

May I just say that the "work" I do with clients and their families is the most rewarding service I've performed in my life? I've been enriched in so many ways - and all my days are more enjoyable.

If you're a hospice volunteer, please make a post or two; let me (us) know the power in the relationships forged during the last months of someone's life.

And, if you're not currently a volunteer - why not consider the work?

And, of course, if you're a family who is involved in the care for a terminally ill family member - whether at home or in a skilled nursing facility - be sure to contact your local hospice center for assistance.

Love, joy, and deep appreciation,

Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home