DeathWrites

A place to share, discuss, and think about the wide variety of funerary and mortuary ritual forms found worldwide.Also a place to learn to deal with the death of a loved one, or your own transition from the physical to non-physical.

Name:
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States

I am 53 years old, and single mother to two teenaged sons. Trained as an anthropologist, I have made the cross-cultural study of death rituals my personal domain. I've traveled the world, read all I can get my hands on...and it's still not enough!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mid-week chit~chat

I've been getting some interesting comments on the famidahana ritual article; most of them having to do with how little corporal involvement is incorporated into our Western rituals. More and more, the memorial service or life celebration doesn't even include the body of the deceased!

Strange isn't it?
Some cultures reveal the reality of corporal death and decomposition, while ours has removed that element of human existence from the ritual almost completely. Which functions better?

Any thoughts on that?

I'd love comments!

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home