DeathWrites

A place to share, discuss, and think about the wide variety of funerary and mortuary ritual forms found worldwide.Also a place to learn to deal with the death of a loved one, or your own transition from the physical to non-physical.

Name:
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States

I am 53 years old, and single mother to two teenaged sons. Trained as an anthropologist, I have made the cross-cultural study of death rituals my personal domain. I've traveled the world, read all I can get my hands on...and it's still not enough!

Friday, December 14, 2007

Winter and Loss

Oh, my heavens, it's cold here these days. I suspect there are much colder places in the world; but for me, 28 degrees is c-o-l-d!

On a rather different note, a dear friend of mine died on November 26th, after a brief illness. Actually, that offers the wrong image; he had been in declining health for years. We had him on hospice care for just one week - and then he was gone.

It was my priviledge to be with him at the end. I shall always treasure those hours we spent during his last three days. I was able to share with him what he meant to me, and we could "remember together" the activities, and conversations. Sweet, sweet time.

For those of you unfamiliar with hospice, please visit: http://www.hospicefoundation.org/.
I hope you can provide hospice care for those you love -remember it costs you, or the patient nothing to accept the loving service of hospice nurses, doctors, home health workers, and volunteers. There is also spiritual support, for those who seek it.

Wishing you all a wonderful close to the year. May you stay warm, be happy, and find joy in the prospect of the new year!

Love, joy and deep appreciation,

Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home