DeathWrites

A place to share, discuss, and think about the wide variety of funerary and mortuary ritual forms found worldwide.Also a place to learn to deal with the death of a loved one, or your own transition from the physical to non-physical.

Name:
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States

I am 53 years old, and single mother to two teenaged sons. Trained as an anthropologist, I have made the cross-cultural study of death rituals my personal domain. I've traveled the world, read all I can get my hands on...and it's still not enough!

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Grief Sneaks Up on You

This time of year, grief is most keenly felt, I think. All emotions are on the surface, for me anyway; how about you?

I was at the mall with my son yesterday. He's 17, and wanted to spend his money on gifts for his Dad and Brother...and his beloved little dog, Courage. While we were there, I stood to watch Santa Claus, in the photo area...a gentle old soul, if ever there was one. The emotions that came rushing in were overwhelming! There was a lot of grief, I can tell you that. Picking it apart, I find that it was grief over:

  • My parents refusal to let me believe in Santa Claus as a child
  • The fact that my sons are young adults now, and Christmas is forever different because of that!
  • The deaths of my parents, with so much left unsaid
  • My own aging - the child, Kim...seems so close at this time of year, even at 53, I can see "her" clearly, shining brightly behind my own eyes when I look in the mirror

How about you? Is grief your companion at this time of the year? If so, don't push it away. Embrace it. Write about it, sing about it...or sit quietly with it.

Wishing you a spirited, reflective, yet joyous close to 2007.

Love, joy and deep appreciation,

Kim

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I think you captured how grief sneaks up on you perfectly.
Best wishes
Laurie (England)

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home